When I went elk hunting in Colorado a few years ago I only had time for factory loads as I did not handload at that time, so I tried to sight my gun (Rem model 7 in .308) in on the Fed HE 180 grain loads which my gun absolutely hated. (that was the load I really hoped would work)
I also tried some TBBC's (my second choice) like the first choice my gun hated these, so I ended up using my deer loads which were Winchester 168 grain BT's....to say I felt undergunned was an understatement as I felt I needed a better constructed bullet, so during my hunt I passed a shot on a decent 6x6 only because I had a texas heart shot opportunity (not my first choice of shots anyway).
So because of the bullet I had I passed on an opportunity at a rather decent bull and never had another opportunity at an elk that year....I feel that if I had one of the other 2 choices I really wanted, I would have taken the shot and got that elk but not with the BT's.
Of course my distance was considerably shorter say 90 yds....but in the back of my mind I always wonder would the BT's have done the job?.......I guess I'll never know.