Notes to Ponder;

1. Overall penetration of the remaining bullet, shank, or blunt trauma projectile, did not increase with additional velocity, at both impact velocities being roughly 200 fps difference, there really was no difference in penetration.

2. There was an increase of trauma with the higher impact velocity which would be expected.

3. The minor amount of instability at the end of penetration would be the result of the nose rounding off somewhat. And, it could also hinder depth of penetration as well, explaining why the increased velocity did not increase penetration. Remember a Solid becomes Front End Drive during terminals, and at this point it has become a solid.

Overall impression, from my standpoint, Sam may add something when he comes on, is that this is very typical copper type CNC machined bullet. Many of the Lehighs we worked with in 2006-2009 did exactly the same thing, pretty much, depending on velocity. Some of the Copper HP’s Dan did for Capo reacted exactly the same as these as well. Petals peel, break off and disperse along the length of the wound channel, main bullet either carrying them with it, or in some cases did not shear or peel until that point. From the massive and extreme trauma we saw at 3-7 inches, I would tend to believe we had shear at that point and the petals traveled with the main bullet. I do not believe they peeled along the way. There would be indications if that were the case.

There are no real issues with this mode of operation, and it can be devastating in the wound channel. I have shot buffalo with similar bullets and they hammered the tissue into submission. Personally I like the Raptor mode of operation better, and think that it does more outside damage to vessels and organ tissue outside the main wound channel, but the Hammer type bullet is way above conventional expanding bullets, and maybe a bit more destructive than an Expanding CPS… maybe between a Raptor and CPS would be a good place to be………

I would not hesitate to take the bullet for serious missions. As long as all other parameters where met, such as accuracy, pressures and blah blah blah………… This 400 Hammer is without doubt “Buffalo Capable”………………..Who would have considered that 15 years ago? Not me! But Bullet Tech has proven different.

End quote of Sir Michael aka Doc M.

My hit and miss comments follow.

404-g Shock Hammer in .458 B&M at COL of 3.02", probably 18" barrel, maybe 20", probably 1:14 " twist,
brass case length is 2.240", put a long-leade/WinMag throat on it and it becomes the .458 BMW:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.