Almost universal consent is oppression and enslavement of the few by the many. Do you cease to be a slaveholder when you get down to just a few slaves? I suppose you do if you're John Locke: you just "rightly" define yourself that way because getting rid of those last couple of slaves is just too much trouble.
Since you objected to my choice not substantively to respond to this, I will do so now. You are not a slave or oppressed if you are in the minority here, because you may 1) vote for a candidate/policy of your choice, 2) run for office yourself, 3) attempt to persuade others to your positions, 4), and/or if all else fails, you can move to the next town over, or the next county over, or the next state over. Why, you can even move to a different country if you like. There is no Berlin Wall here.

The more limited in scope is the central government, and the more decentralized is government in general, however, the less likely it is that you will feel compelled to move far to find a form of government that you can live with and/or have influence on. This is why conservatives are opposed to central government consolidation of local governmental functions. The more this occurs, the less a significant minority has the option of simply moving to the next town or state, and the more likely a significant minority will begin to feel oppressed and enslaved, and the more likely they are to choose revolutionary and/or terrorist tactics rather than democratic.