Hi Jeff,

Thanks.

I have a CRF, stainless model with a silver 2.5x8 Vari-XIII. I'm guessing the whole thing, sling included, weighs just over 8 pounds. I have had it bedded and the trigger worked to about 3 pounds. With one in the chamber, it'll hold six rounds, which translates to plenty of missin'! I will shoot an inch all day long with all ammo I've tested.

My rifle will also chrono 180 grain Core-Lokts at better than 2700 FPS. I was told that I am fortunate to have a "fast" barrel. Maybe so, but I am more fortunate that it will shoot these rounds very accurately. I would much prefer to hit at that which I'm aiming with a slower bullet than have a "speedier" one pass on by!

I have old reloading info from Ken Waters. He wrote of getting better than 2500 FPS with 200 grain bullets. I'd like to load a box or so with bonded bullets to have just in case I were to meet a mean bear high in the Rockies. But I suppose a bonded 180 grain would work just as well.

Caliber selection, more often than not, boils down to subjectivity. I will never fault a man whose choice is different than mine so long as it's reasonable. Of course a .22 Hornet is a poor choice for muleys. But when it comes to most big game cartridges, they're all suitable when used within their parameters. For me, I researched the game I was most often to hunt and distances at which I am capable of harvesting an animal. After I finished reading and talking to hunters, I chose the .308 Win as my mountain rifle. Fact is, most other calibers would have worked as well, maybe better. But I like the idea of low recoil which makes practice more pleasant. The round is nearly identical to the venerable '06, except where heavier bullets come into play; meaning it is more than powerful enough for all North American ungulates. Since I am unlikely to ever use anything over 180 grains, for me the .308 Win made more sense. Also, ammo is inexpensive and easy to find...anywhere.

Jeff, what's your take on this topic? What would be your choice limiting to only North American big game?