Originally Posted by shaman
I've got one. I used to have a really good friend down at the farm. O.T. ran the mower shop over on the next ridge, and I was always bringing him stuff to work on. O.T. had grown up here and hunted all over this end of the county. His big thing was grouse, but he hunted turkeys and deer as well. O.T. always bragged about his deer rifle, a custom Mauser 25-06. I even heard about it from his friends. It was sort of a small legend.

O.T. went blind in his 80s. It was a sudden thing. One night he was watching TV and it all went dark. Shortly after that I came to visit, and he was fretting on having enough money to stay in his house. I offered to buy his rifle. O.T. cried when he went to the safe and got it out. He died over the next winter.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

I have to say that up until now, I haven't had that great of an experience with the rifle. I tried to shoot 117 Hornadys, and they grouped okay. It just didn't have such a great effect on the deer. I put it aside and brought it back out this year with 100 grain Speers. Yesterday, I shot a great group with it, and it's coming back out with me this November.

The stock has all sorts of little scratches and indentations from O.T. holding it against fenceposts for a solid rest.

My 257 Robert’s looks like yours. 03a3 action and a Herters stock, oh and a Douglas barrel.

I also have 2 99’s in 250.