Originally Posted by luv2safari
I cheat.

Kreighoff drilling in SXS 16ga over a 7X65R (pretty much a 280 Rem) and a 22 LR shotgun barrel insert. It wears a 1.5-6 Zeiss in claw mounts.

I might also mention that Bruce (luv2safari) let go of one of his excellent drillings around a dozen years ago--a Sauer 16x16/6.5x57R, which he admits is one of the most accurate "soldered barrel" drillings he's ever owned.

It had a 30mm Hensoldt 4x in claw mounts--which I still have as backup--but a couple years later had excellent local gunsmith John McLaughlin (www.mclaughlinmetalworks.com) modify a set of Talley 1" steel detachable rings to fit the bases, so I can use any 1" scope.

Since it also came with a .22 Magnum insert for the right-hand shotgun barrel (which is very accurate), it could easily be used for almost all my hunting in Montana. I have used it not only to take a wide variety of birds but big game, including a pronghorn buck. Oh, and the birds have included both spring and fall turkeys. (Only shotguns are legal in spring, but rifles are OK in autumn.)

If a little saner that's what I'd do, since the 6.5x57R is also a capable elk round. Oh, and the rifle barrel has the "trendy" 1-8 twist--even though the gun is around 3/4 of a century old.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck