No one has written about the advantage of those lower power scopes having a huge exit pupil diameter and much larger FOV. I wish that I was young enough and stealthy enough to go still hunting with my 99 with a 1.5-5x20 Leupold Heavy Duplex because that rifle and scope points so naturally with the full fov through that scope even with a less than perfect cheek weld. I do like the higher power 4.5-14x40 on my varmint rifle, but the eye position behind that scope needs to be way more precise.

In stand deer hunting there is usually time to turn up a variable, so most of the time my scopes are in that 2.5-3x range. With a self imposed 6x maximum on my woods hunting stand rifle, it is enough without it being too much. As a kid I remember borrowing a Pre-64 .300 WM (Should have bought that one) with a 3-9x42 scope and I was looking at some does with the scope dialed up to 9x trying to make antlers on one of them. Then when an 8 point showed up, that 9x was too much and all I saw in the scope was brown fur when he ran. A larger FOV matters and a 1.5-6x42 has been ideal ever since.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory