Originally Posted by erich
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
For those of you who are hunting with scopes that start at 1 or 2X how many of you kills come at that magnification level?

I live out west and mainly hunt coyotes, some years I hunt up to five different states. I'd say that 80% of my kills are on the lowest power of the scope I'm using be it 1x, 1.5x or 2x. I find FOV trumps X's most of the time when calling coyotes.

NM
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

WA

AZ

NV (Burris 4X 1.5-6x4?) Testing a 22 Mag

Having grown up in MN and WI all my deer hunting was in the northern forests where all my hunting was either still hunting or tracking, again FOV trumped X's. Fast target acquisition is king.

Nice WI public land buck 25-204 100gr Partition Weaver V-3

While we hunt different places, I’m of the same opinion on coyote hunting: they’re almost always moving and about half the time, there’s more than one. They often move cover to cover, and FOV, eyebox, and speed are far more important than hitting a dot at 300. The same often proves true on deer/hogs around here as well: it’s not that you have to shoot fast movers all the time that makes LPVs the ticket, it’s the speed with which you may have to execute a shot opportunity in a given window or bad position. LPV (or fixed power) optical properties of eye relief, eye box, FOV, and depth of field make mounting and shot execution smoother….to me. JMO