Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
How many of you use a 1-4x or 1-6x scope or something like it regularly? I think I generally have too much scope. Reason being, is I get quite a few closer shots. Had a close on last week on a walking deer and with the 4-12x, I struggled finding the deer in the scope. I’d like to hear from those that like these scopes and why. Thanks.

I only have one, a (discontinued) Leupold 1.75-6X on a Ruger-made Marlin .45-70 SBL.

I believe your problem is not your scope, it's your stock fit. With a stock that fits you correctly it won't matter, anything from about 6x down, and sometimes 8x down, will line up on target. The only issue you'll have is if the critter is so close that it fills the sight picture completely and you can't figure out which part you're aiming into. Otherwise, it is a stock fit problem. Most people misunderstand those and try to fix them by changing scopes. That's like trimming your fingernails 'cause your belt is too tight.

This is a good point. Poor technique can give pretty much the same result. A lot of people bring the scope up to their eye, then look around for the target in the scope. Instead, you should be able to look at the target then bring the rifle up to your eye and find the crosshairs superimposed on the target. A few rounds of dry fire will help you understand which method you're using.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.