Originally Posted by Trystan
I was at the rifle range shooting awhile back! I had placed my target on the 500 yard line. An older fella, perhaps it was you I don't know, told me I had no buisiness shooting at 500 yards because you can't hunt game ethically at 500 yards. His target was places at 100 yards. We both shot 5 shots and went down range to aquire our targets. My group was 5 shots In less than 2". His group was 5 shots into 4 ish inches. My question is this.........do I have more buisiness hunting game at 500 yards than he does at 100 yards ? Or is consistency of shooting or group size even relevant?

Trystan
It is all about knowing your limits and practicing to be the best shot you can be at the distance in which you choose to hunt. I do not have any safe shots where I hunt over about 250, so that is where I shoot most of the time. I would never tell someone else they have no business to shoot further than the range I shoot at. Heck, I know some boys up north of me in the MS River delta that hunt bean fields and are killing deer with head shots at 600 and 700 yards, but rarely see deer less than 250 yards.

Originally Posted by KillerBee
The people that say you should not take long shots on game are the same people that say you should never take neck or head shots. In other words, they don't know how to shoot.

Here is a simple approach. If you don't think you can make the shot, don't take it, because you probably can't.
agreed.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Joe S.