Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What was it and where was he?

I don't know.

Appomattox, Custer captured Lees artillery and convinced Lee to meet Grant at the courthouse and meet the terms of surrender and end the Civil war. General Phil Sheridan purchased the table the treaty was signed on and presented it to Libby Custer…

In April 1865, the Rebels had surrendered to the Yankees, thus ending the Civil War. George Custer arrived on the other side of the war a hero. His actions at the Battle of the 1st Bull Run and subsequent heroic efforts helped bring about victory for the North. Shortly after the official signing of the South’s declaration of surrender Major General Phil Sheridan sent Elizabeth Custer a gift along with a note of explanation. It read, “My dear Madam – I respectfully present to you the small writing table on which the conditions for the surrender of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia were written by Lt. General Grant – and permit me to say, Madam, that there is scarecely an individual in our service who has contributed more to bring this about than your gallant husband.”
Where wuz Custer in 1864 at chambersburg pa?