Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
No, no. Not at all.
I do not have hatred for Custer.
That is somehow your misinterpretation of what I have posted and I certainly did not mean to convey that.
From reading your posts, you think Custer was a hero and that of course is your privilege.
I can't make the jump to "hero" in regards to the action on 7/25/1876 at LBH.
I read the reports and see a series of mistakes that led to the disaster.
This entire event is about leadership, in my opinion.
There are still many things that you will never know and that I will never know.
For example, did Custer kill himself ? We'll never know.

Custer was a Civil War hero, not mine. I have a lot of admiration for his life accomplishments which escapes many people. It was hard for America to understand how a decorated Civil War hero could meet such an end by plains savages. This was in the centennial year of our Declaration Of Independence. It was shocking and discussed as such. Later adjustments to his accomplishments in the 50’s and 60’s, created a different image of Custer.

Growing up in Montana, and having a county, a forest and town named for some idiot that got killed by Indians, always left me wondering, how and why. I had a keen interest in the Custer Battle since I was a kid. Visiting the battlefield and fishing on the Little Bighorn River for catfish, peaked my interest even more.

While catfishing on the Little Bighorn in the early 70’s I found my first 50-70 case near the river. Increasing my interest considerably, I continued on with my education of Custer and the battle. It was in the years following that I came to understand Custer for what he was and not for how he was remembered.

That study led to many discoveries of Custer’s life and his battlefield experiences. I admire his tenacity and energy, unequalled by many of his contemporaries. I have posted references throughout this series supporting my observations and most arguments against him are from questionable sources and hearsay.

Was Custer perfect? Not hardly, there are instances where his performance in his capacity as a post Civil War soldier were deplorable. Trying to be objective which will bring a more positive light to who Custer really was, it is still my conclusion, Custer was a tireless and energetic leader with few capable of staying with him.

Would I have wanted to serve under him, absolutely not. But I do know why Phil Sheridan counted on him for the ability he had to get things done…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]