Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Wasn’t there a lone survivor from the LBH battle?
There were over 300 U.S. Army survivors in the 7 companies commanded by Major Reno but in actuality commanded by Capt. Benteen. They set up a defensive position and held it until the Indians abandoned the battlefield and headed for the hills.

There is reason to believe a soldier named Frank Finkel or Finkle with General Custer at last stand hill survived when his horse bolted and took off with him. He tells a fairly credible story and surfaced many years later. I think he died around 1930 in Washington state.

Reno didn't have command of 7 companies when he went dow on the Little Bighorn. He had 3 companies, Benteen had 3 companies with him and 1 company was left with the pack train. Custer had 5 companies with him. At the Reno/Benteen site, there would have been 7 companies combined at that point. Frank Finkle has been debunked. He and many others claimed escaping, but there is no proof.

In our research and discovery of previously unknown circumstances, we did find an account of a local kid that grew up on Reno Creek in the 1930's and claimed he had found the remains of 2 soldiers in a rock crevice 7 miles east of the battlefield. Our research is still incomplete, but we have discovered an eyewitness account from Custer's scouts that actually saw 2 Soldiers back near the Lone Teepee site and surrounded by 5 Sioux warriors. It is in the book by Walter Mason Camp "Custer 1876" This isn't rumor as so many stories are and many show up in discussions like this.

We have found indications of a possible skirmish 6 1/2 miles east of the battlefield that will support this as a real incident. Where and what we have done is well recorded and the hoops you have to jump through is more than a single person can take on. There is more information we have that doesn't permit recalling much of it here as there is so much and the people and technical equipment we have used there is beyond even what they used in the battlefield archaeology in the 1980's.

Outside resources have been studied extensively and most is 3rd, 4th and even 50th repeat of the same material with little real historical connection. Custer may be the most written about person in American History nest to Lincoln and finding real documented accounts are scarce. We have been able to weed them out, as we have been pursuing this for more than 40 years.

Here is the account by the Indian scout in "Custer 1876" by Walter Mason Camp. He interviewed every survivor of the battle that he could locate, both Indians and soldiers to find out the most he could on the battle. This supports our research into the possibility of the 2 soldiers seen in the rock crevice in the 1930's. My guess is this is the first time anyone here has even heard of such a finding...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]