Originally Posted by Flashdog
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"The Seventh was divided into factions, and this I believe brought about the massacre of five companies, and the siege against the others.
I believe that had Benteen acted quickly upon the orders, he may have been able to save at least some of Custer’s battalion.
Benteen had a hard on for Custer, and he took it to the grave."

That sums it up, 7mm.

From looking at the battlefield, Custer ended up on a bare ridge. When the Indians managed to ride around and attack from all sides, his position was indefensible. If Benteen had managed to reach Custer with his companies and the packs his men probably would have been killed also.

As it was, when Benteen encountered Reno’s retreating troops in a more defensible location, he was able to organize a defensive position that saved the rest of the 7th cavalry.

As you suggest, Benteen with his companies and the pack train held the key to survival for whichever unit he assisted.

Whether his decision to join with Reno was a sound battlefield decision by an experienced officer or a result of his dislike of Custer is a question for scholars.

I don't know if I'm a scholar, but after much study on this whole battle, I have concluded that Benteen was a consummate soldier, quite capable of any battle he pitched into. His record supports this. I do not think he would have let Custer die for any reason of hatred or dislike...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]