Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
engineers, research-aholics, gear junkies etc. who thoroughly research a topic and all options before jumping in with their wallet have gravitated to the 2.7 turbo from gm

there are multiple videos out there with the gm engineers who discuss this motor and it's ground up design for truck duty, they had the high tech dual volute turbo in mind and designed the motor around it, the brilliance in the inline big jug long stroke design is very much the old cummins formula, it went so well the first 3 years they added a bunch of power, then went so well the next 2 years they now give it the same long 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty of the diesel...the gm engineers will tell you it's one of only 2 motors they've tried to kill and couldn't...they will also tell you that (at least the newer high output 430 ft/lb 2022.5's and newer) put down more axle torque in 1st gear with the 8-spd than the 2005/6 8.1 big block 4-spd did

it's a fascinating rabbit hole to go down, I have about 40,000 miles (60,000 kms) on my 2022.5 refresh high output and its the best half ton motor choice in the market period. not a gm guy or brand loyal, but I am a research guy and so on this go round it was the 2.7

you cannot go wrong with this motor, it's the 21st century interpretation of the cummins formula, on gas, for a half ton....big jug, long stroke, inline, single turbo...can't seize it, no lifters (common warranty item on the v8's) etc. the 2.7 is the least worked on by the gm techs, gets great mileage when you want/empty etc. but it can pull big time work duty and suck the same fuel as the 6.2 because it can do the same work as the 6.2...at 4000' elevation with naturally aspirated power loss of 3% every 1000' and only 0.05% loss from boosted engines the 2.7 actually has 22 ft/lbs more torque than the 6.2...

anyhow, lots one can learn about this motor or you could just ask on hunting forums lol...you're welcome

Yep. My '22 non-H.O. now has ~33K miles without issue. Just returned from an 1150-mile hunting trip towing a flatbed trailer with a Polaris Ranger, 65-gallon water tank, and a bunch of gear and average 14MPG for the trip. It tows my 25' travel trailer very well. I live at 6K feet elevation and usually camp at 8K or better. If I needed to replace it, I'd probably buy the same truck.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~