i use cast bullets mostly, so i don't clean the barrel much. a properly fitted cast bullet and a gas check is all you need. my 444 Marlin and 30-40 Krag have shot 3000-4000 cast rounds each and once in a while i'll take a patch with Ballistol and run it down the bore about 4 or 5 times and then i'm done.

when i use cup-n-core (jacketed) bullets, i'll clean the rifle when its accuracy falls off. i use a TC Encore with a 23" MGM heavy factory barrel in 20 Vartarg that needs a cleaning when i'm about 100-125 shots. i've used Sweets, Shooters Choice, Gunslicks foaming bore cleaner and a whole bunch of other ones. i found out that copper solvents (don't matter which one) are #1 for cleaning. and if your lazy like me, Wipe Out and Gunslicks foaming bore cleaner are for you. just a push on the button and 1/2 - 1 hour later you need to patch it off. repeat if necessary. or you can plug up the rifle on the muzzle, put it vertically on the plug and it is either Shooters Choice or foaming bore cleaner (you have to it 3 or 4 times) and let it sit overnite.i use nylon brushes, i've gotton away from bronze brushes because my patches were still blueish green.

my dad (RIP) and the Army made me clean rifles religiously. "whenever you done shooting the rifle, you need to clean it" they used to say. i used to dread cleaning the rifles in the Army. now, i don't clean as much. a Ballistol rag on the outside of rifle and i'm done.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".