I don’t think getting the bore absolutely clean is a good idea unless as MD mentioned applying Dyna Bore or the like. I use JB bore cleaner in such occasions.

I have most of the stuff Al showed. I don’t use 80% of it. I should do as he did, take it to a match with a sign “FREE”.

I don’t want nor do I expect the foaming cleansers including “wipe-out” to get it to bare metal. But I use them.

When I get a new - used rifle, one of the things I do is spray a foaming cleaner down the barrel. Often the patch afterwards will be a combination of dark blue and black. In such case I may repeat a couple times.

I do miss the smell of Hoppes #9. I will use it sometimes as it brings me back to dad’s reloading room. “Perfume par excellence”!

If it’s a 700 Remington, I’ll get under a MOA groups with game rifles and 1/2 MOA or better with varmint rifles. So, I’m more than happy with the results. I used to try to get 1/2MOA with all rifles - waste of time & ammo.

I thank Mr Sisk, MD, Al and others for their shared knowledge.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally