Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Exchipy
In a hunting rifle, accuracy is what really counts. Precision means nothing without accuracy, the ability to hit what’s aimed at, precisely where it needs to be hit, with the first shot or two. That being the goal, this TCR 83 Aristocrat in .30-06 proved meaningfully accurate in a somewhat surprising, meat promising way, with only two shots fired from a cold bore to check its zero:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]No more shots were fired from that rifle that day, as those two certainly seemed sufficient. The 18 rounds remaining in that box were saved for potentially more important targets.

I always appreciate the folks who differentiate between precision and accuracy--bu the two major references on the English language, The Oxford English Dictionary for British English, and the various editions of Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary for the American dialect, list “accuracy” and “precision” as synonyms, meaning exactly the same thing.

The differentiation between precision and accuracy is a form of jargon--which the OED defines as "special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group."

Exchipy shows a great example of accuracy vs. precision. Accuracy is hitting what you are aiming at, and he did that well. This is an example that demonstrates the difference between the 2:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The guy showing a pic of a one hole group, but not hitting what he's aiming at, is a great example of "precision" of the rifle, because of the tight group. However, that's not the same thing as "accuracy". Trying to bend the words to suit ones own needs, is what's wrong with this f'd up world. Some of us tire of that woke kind of bs...
Just as some of us tire of this sort of pedantic bull crap. GD