Not too happy with Alaska right now either. As of March 1, one can no longer check bags all the way through to final destination if switching airlines.

That means on April 1, we will have to retrieve our bags in LA, re-enter thru Security, and recheck them on Quantas to Australia.

4 hour layover, time enough - but it's still a PITA. Understandable maybe if going international, but it applies to everywhere, now.

For years, Alaska has been #1 customer satisfaction rated by JDPowell. This could cause some slippage maybe. I don't know other airlines' policy on this, but if switching airlines, better plan on that baggage time between! 2 hours minimum.

I have to say, though, on a recent trip back from MT, the Billings- SEA flight was mech. delayed by an hour, so we were auto-booked on the next available flight SEA-ANC, having missed the original. We deplaned first ahead of others who did not have tight connections, walked across the gate area to a nearby gate and onto our flight to ANC, as they were already boarding - and our bags made it too. Nice, since we live 3 hours drive away from ANC, and 25 miles from the Kenai airport, tho they will (or used to) home deliver.

KLM left my wife's bag in the cart in Amsterdam a couple years ago. I know how it happened, too (BTDT! as ramper for Alaska)). It was a Navy blue duffle, and we were the first to check in so it went into the cart first, in the corner, and the Kilmanjaro flilght loaded later that night in the dark...

It caught up to us in the Serengetti 4 days later. From then on, if traveling with 2 suitcases, our clothes are split between them. If possible, I use a carry on with at least one change also.

Or better yet, no checked baggage at all - everything I need in the carry-on if I can.

I'm still pissed at NZ Air from last spring. Our ANC-LA flight was delayed, and they knew it. We had a mile walk from AKAir to NZ gate, and they re-assigned our xtra leg-room seats 1 minute before we got there, despite knowing of the delay and that we were on the way.

Then they put us in cramped middle seats. There was a half-empty flight leaving 2 hours later, (our travel companions were on that one) but they refused to re-assign us. Nor did they ever refund our extra pay, extra legroom fees.

OH yes, after fugging us over, our flight was delayed for over an hour, waiting for crew.

Last edited by las; 03/26/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.