Here is a tip, send yourself a text with your airline and flight number, AA2845 for American for example, or DL4006 for Delta for example. If you're not on a jitterbug phone, that then becomes a hyperlink in your text messages for the flight(s) you're on. Just click in the text and it brings up a map, where the plane is (at the airport, or where it is if it has already taken off), departure time, estimated arrival time, duration, baggage claim, and a host of other information. Makes for quick access information.

Was having an issue in DFW a month ago, the nice gal at the ticket counter also alerted me to google my flight AA2845 for example, and the information that was brought up on that google search was better (more real time) than even the American app was.

At times, I fly for 4 or 5 months at a time, every week. My only major delays have been weather related. I expect minor delays. Sometimes everything goes smoothly. The more streamlined you are and know what to expect for ticketing, baggage, security, the easier everything is though.

Originally Posted by 1minute
For one that's not utilized flight services for about 5 years - Do we all navigate the system with smart phones now, or can one still walk up to a counter, buy ticket, do security, and walk to the gate?

If the former, is there an app for that?

I don't know about buying a ticket at the counter, seems like you might not be flying for a few days if all the flights are sold out. But, you can buy in advance, print your ticket at home if you want, or get your ticket at a kiosk, or at the counter at the airport, pay for your bags in advance on computer, or pay at the counter. Can go through security and board the plane just with your self printed paper ticket, or one they print at the counter. I flew with my intern to SLC last week. I was all electronic from the app, he was all old school with paper copies of everything.