I have more than a few 270 winchesters they have all been good shooters and reliable killers. In the mid 90's I had a winchester m12 reproduction 20 ga I bought for skeet and early bird hunting, it was rough cycling and I put over 5 flats thru it on skeet trying to smooth it in, never happened. I could still beat its performance with a 870 express. One Sunday after a couple of less than stellar skeet rds I stopped at the lgs on the way home. In the used rack was a Mk V sporter in 270 Weatherby mag. 99% condition that looked like it had less than 3 boxes thru it. I traded that m12 20 and 35 bucks for the 270 wthby mag. It had one of those 1 piece Maynard Buehler mounts on it with rings and an old 6x Burris I had was a perfect fit. 150 gr horn sp and a max dose of 7828 and fed 215's shot groups nickle to quarter size at 100 yds at 3150 fps. 3 of the 4 nicest whitetail bucks I've shot were with the 270 Weatherby, seems like every time I took it hunting I'd see a nice buck. Don't know why I am not smart enough to just use it all the time. No the 6x isn't perfect for most but works great for the shots I take. I am only 69 but can handle and use a long action as good as any short one. That is why the 270 wsm and 6.8 hold little curiosity for me. To each his own. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "