Well, I've been a long time lurker. First time posting. I do have quite a bit of experience with the 260. In fact we go back to '95 when it was still just a 6.5-08. I've since cooked a couple of barrels on the custom model 7 and worked with one other 700 short action and here's my $.02.

They ain't lying when they say that 6.5 bullets make up in penetration what they lack in energy. I've killed more game with a .260 than I have any other one caliber. From gophers up too big muleys its never let me down and I can only recall one deer that took a second bullet to tip over. My brother and I both call our .260's "Swedish 30-06's. Mostly because I work with a guy from Sweden that thinks the 6.5-55 is a great moose caliber.

I pretty much have two loads now these days. After having tried 60 or so.

R-P cases, or reformed and inside neck reamed Lapua .308 cases
CCI 200 primers
45.2 grains of RL19
Hornady 140 Interlocks seated to .005" off the leade (in my rifle that averages 2.787")
This is the "utility load" that I use on everything whitetail on down size critters.

R-P cases
CCI 200's
45.8 grains of RL19
Nosler 140 Partitions seated .005" off the leade
This load gets used in muley and elk country and I would use it without hesitation on critters of that size. You just need to be patient and not try to slip one in there. But then thats good advice, even for those that shoot cannons.

Once in a while I'll load up some Hornady V-max's for varmints on the east half of the state. Or 140 Sierra MatchKings for shooting out to 1000 yards on bigger varmints (I know I've shot a few weary rock chucks that would go "book" past the tripple zero's that guys couldn't get at with standard varmint outfits.)

I thought this was an interesting thread. In all my expiramentation with the 6.5-08 I never achieved both top velocity and good accuracy with any powder other than RL19. VV560 came close though... Either load gets 2750 AVG in a 22" barrel in pretty much all 260's I've worked with (3 barrels, two rifles.) I never got into the 2900 FPS mark with 125-129 grain bullets either, with any powder tested. In case you're wondering, these loads shoots in the .5's in both .260's (mine and my brothers) for 5 round groups. I've had several in the .3's and on a bad day at the range they're still sub-moa.

It's definately a handloaders caliber. Its also the closest thing to a prefect caliber for a short action rifle thats going to see use on critters elk sized on down IMO. I'd say its more versatile than the old tried and true 30-06. In the couple of tons of game and varmints I've shot with it, it definately kills better than it should. It's got a lot more horse-power than a .243, about as much recoil too, a 140 Matchking at 2750 FPS will outrun a 168 leaving a .308 at 2650 and stay supersonic longer and retain more energy, and in a 7 pound "decaff" rifle it won's rattle the fillings out of your teeth when you push the "loud noise" button. I'll have a 260 in the arsenal until the day I die.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall