Mark
I got the stainless/syn because the wood on the one that Cap Sports had on the shelf was very drab- Figured if I was going to have an ugly rifle, it might as well be indestructable!
With RL15, I got up to 2650 with the 154 Hornady. With that 154 Hornady, shooting into dry newspaper, I got almost as much penetration as I do with a 180 grain Nosler Partition. That surprised me. I would not hesitate to use that on elk, since I have killed elk with 150 Hornadys out of my 270 at very little above 7/08 velocities. At 425 yards, the old old cow didn't move out of her tracks until she was tits up sliding down the hill.
Brad suggested H4350, and after doing some research, that seems to be the place to start. I have some rounds loaded ready to go to the range, but right now am getting ready for a back packing trip.
One day last week I had to go on an emergency hunt for man eating praire dogs. Couldn't drive onto the property because it was so dry, so I hunted them like antelope, walk a little ways, get 3 or 4, then move some more. Not fast and furious shooting, but went thru 80 rounds in my 243, all from typical antelope hunting positions with the bipod. Every time I take that 243 out, I am impressed with how deadly it is. Thinking I might even use it on antelope with those 80 grain Ballistic Tips. Ever hear of anyone killing a big game animal with Ballistic Tips? LOL
Did you buy a new truck yet? Chevy is giving lots of rebabtes right now, if you are interested in Chevies at all. I have been looking at the Colorado for gas mileage.
Fred