Both sides of this argument make sense to me.I know that's waffling to a large degree but it's because both sides are "right".Most scopes in the medium to upper price ranges perform very well under a wide variety of circumstances, but I think the "high end scope" guys have a valid argument and it boils down to where you've hunted and whether or not you've been "burned" by the inability to see adequately and had to pass on something with mediocre optics, when a top-end scope would have allowed you to confidently take a shot.

I plead "guilty"to avoiding the high end stuff although I have owned more than a few,and the majority of the stuff I've shot has been with the moderate priced scopes,relatively low power,etc.

I have never lost an animal, or a chance at one, because I was using my Leupolds with what some would consider inadequate power and resolution, or dim optics under the circumstances.BUT I do have buddies who have.One could not see to shoot a 190-200 class typical in Alberta right at the edge of dark(the buck was "known" by the outfitter,and seen in the headlights after picking the hunter up).

Another ,right at dark,could not distinguish one big 6x6 of several bulls right at the edge of light.A third lost a crack at an eland because he could not see; I am told some African hunting is done under pretty dim light conditions.

So these things DO happen,especially if you are dealing with nocturnal animals like trophy-class whitetails, mule deer, or elk.So,for some hunting,some circumstances,and for a guy who wishes to hedge ALL bets,the higher quality stuff has a decided advantage.I have proven this to myself many times by comparing higher end optics to the more moderate price spreads,and the difference sometimes does not show up until the very last scintilla of light.

OTOH you could not give me a 15-20 oz scope for most mountain game hunting because I am accustomed to a 10 oz 4X on a light hunting rifle to be used in rough country, and carried constantly in the hands.I've conclusively proven to myself through a lot of shooting and hunting in the west that I am simply not handicapped by such gear for where and how I hunt.

But those who hunt where great resolution and high light gathering ability are crucial to success are wise to spend the extra dough; it could make the difference between success and failure under very precise circumstances.I guess this is for each to work out for himself,really.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.