Good post.
I am of the opinion that one should describe the trade offs when discussing optics. Take eye box for instance. If you want the largest eye box at the lower magnifications of a scope, you have to let go of something else in characteristics. That would be the fashionable fixed eye relief characteristic. Or, if you like and need the help in seeing the image clearly, say you have less than great eyes, then a euro style focusing system might be useful. However, they can be accidently moved by contact with clothing or one's pack. Not good for a guy that might have to shoot quickly.
I also feel it would be very helpful to have some basis for comparision. For instance, just how close are these scopes in resolving an image ? At what range ? Under what light conditions ? Bob NH, for instance, really likes the Leupold 4X for it's reliability, especially in holding it's zero. I do too, but tend to favor the 6X42 over it because of it's better, i.e. longer range, low light capability. "Better" meaning about 50% more range under the same light conditions. E