Geez, now that the cat's out the bag, let me add another Clay Harvey story.

Last August I hunted in Botswana. My PH soon found I was a gun/hunting writer and we started bandying names back and forth. Turns out he once guided Clay Harvey in Zimbabwe--the big, 21-day hunt. Clay had along at least 6 rifles and two huge cartons of handloads, along with his wife and two daughters, the daughters not too long out of high school.

That first evening Clay got the two PH's aside and told them he "knew how professional hunters were," and warned them not to try to seduce his daughters. My guy was married and as gently as possible told Clay not to worry. The other guy wasn't married, however, and told Clay his daughters were way too ugly for any of that.

Clay never did get his Cape buffalo because he shot it with some reduced loads designed for something else. They never found the buff. In general he shot very poorly, and there was lots of tracking on thin blood trails.

He also complained about the Zimbabwean wine in camp, along with some of the food, so they charted a plane to bring in fancier food and a case of South African wine. Clay stiffed them for the wine, food and several animals he shot that got away wounded.

Oh, and from the dates my PH could remember, this took place just after Clay got caught selling the dozens of guns he'd "borrowed" from various manufacturers. So he bankrolled his big safari with stolen money.

JB