Ken,

Your observations, as always are spot on. I am not a gun writer, though I pursued my degree in Journalism with that goal in mind. I have always been a voracious reader and expect to have my vocabulary challenged from time to time. I suppose many do not have a dictionary close at hand, but I've no shame in seeking Webster's assistance.

Growing up, our family had every meal together, all seven of us. And often more with friends, a bachelor uncle who visited often, and cousins who lived with us. The dining room table was a place of much conversation and education. Dad sat at one end of the table and had at one side of him a very thick dictionary and on the other side an immense, one volume encyclopedia. As meals progressed, and with children of many ages, the conversations invariably brought out a word or subject unfamiliar to at least one of us. Dad's response would be to hand us one of the books and direct us to, "look it up". We would look up the word or subject and share our findings with the rest of the family. It is one of my many fond memories of growing up. Dad still reads continually, he is never without three or four books going. Remarkable really at 83, considering he is actively attending auctions buying and reselling antiques, growing a huge garden and caring for my step mom. I don't think I have ever stumped him with a word.

I would be disappointed if my reading never took me to a dictionary. I know your writings have sent me there even recently, and I thank you for that. At 52 I still need to expand my vocabulary. Time permits me less opportunity to read like I used to. Most of my reading is confined to scripture, firearms and woodworking magazines and my beloved classic gun and hunting books. And these digital journals, of course.

Vocabulary is no substitute for depth of knowledge on any subject matter. There are some writers whose vocabulary is far greater than their subject knowledge. Those fellows generally get sorted out.

That was the long way around to say that I don't mind the occasional "big word" that sends me to the dictionary, as long as the writer in not masking a lack of skill and knowledge with an extensive vocabulary.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.