Boreas,

My preference is a bolt rifle in the trees where follow up shots must be fast. That rules out the beautifull single shots for me, except for the open prairies of southern Alberta.

My requirement is a fine trigger, specially on a relative light stalking rifle. Too many lever/pump/auto loaders have triggers I find tough to handle for offhand shots. If you want a Savage in .308, go visit KS Arms and ask Karl Schmidt or Rod Hendrikson

( yes they do work now together in the same shop) what they can do with the trigger. A Savage 99 would make a great still hunting rifle from deer to moose in Northern Alberta.

My stalking rifles are a 20 inch barreled Reminton 7MS in .308 with Leupold 1.5x5, a Sako full stock 20 inch barrel in .308 with a small Zeiss diavari 4x, and a Sako .338 with 21 inch barrel and Leupold 1.75x6.

All my scopes carry coarse duplex hairs. I can carry those well balanced rifles all day in the two handed or indian carry position, ready for instant action.

A trip to wholesale sports and checking out their models on the rack, would go a long way alleviating your dilemma.

If you have done that already, you may want to wait till Eastern and visit the huge gunshow in Calgary.

The Reminton classic and mountain rifle you like so much, shows up quite regularly in a variety of calibers. One poster suggested since you already have a .308, may be some other caliber if offered in the right rifle configuration would not be a bad idea. Personally I do like the looks and feel of the new 700 LSS stainless laminate mountain rifle in short or long action. However beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The nice thing too is that now almost every gun maker like Sako, Wheatherby, Ruger, Remington etc brings out a light weight rifle, when loaded up with bases, rings, scope and ammo just weighs right for a stalking rifle.

The Browning A-bolt is in Alberta the most often returned brand due to breakdowns. Check this out for yourself, do not only take my word for it.

Only you can determine which rifle is right for you, by checking all those different models out.

My advice, take your time. Big game season is a long way off yet. Part of the fun is what you are doing now, narrowing down to exactly what you need and want.

You perfect rifle is just a cheque away!!!

Last edited by shrike; 03/03/04.