Originally Posted by David_Walter
Although I started this thread, it reminds me of when I showed up in Africa with a 308. The PH kept telling me he thought it wasn't enoough gun, but it accounted for a string of 12 one-shot kills, including a zebra and a kudu.

As friends Steve and John state, its the rifleman, and the bullet. The rest is of lessor importance.

My original question was aimed toward long range shooting (to me, that's over 400 yards, but under 600 yards). As Bob/SU35 said, some of the shots aroung here are longish.

Although I buy and trade on the site a lot, I'm just a working class guy who can only afford so much in the safe. And, even if I could afford everything I wanted, I only want a few, and want to have an intimate relationship with them.

If you plan on shooting elk at 400 to 600 yards with a 257 Wby I would say no!!! Not only no but hell no!!! Most of the ones I shot where under 300 yards the ones that where killed at longer ranges did die. But not like the ones getting hammered with a 300 or 340 WBY. Also I had all kinds of time to get the prefect shot, most folks don�t have those luxuries.

Take it as you like, but I do know a little about killing elk� took these pics just a few minutes ago from my deck they are at my 400 yard target and they are at 500 yards now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]