Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Brad, with your good results with R17 and the 300WSM, are you going to move the .308 Montana to the back of the gun safe?
What factors are you going to use you when you reach for either the 300WSM or .308?

By the way, I see you used Fed210 with R17. Any thoughts on using the Fed215?

Whoop, have tried Magnum Primers with the 300 WSM and various powders and it never did anything more than the standard primers, but gave bigger ES's.

As to the 300 WSM over the 308... I never quite liked the 300 with the 3-9x40LR on top... when I changed it out for the 6x36LR the handling/balance really changed the entire rifle for me. I kinda fell back in love with it.

When I change out the bolt handle for the Ti version from Schmaltz, the 300 WSM will come in just under 7lbs 2oz's all-up. That's about 14oz's more than the 308, but it's a lot more rifle beyond 300 yards than the 308, no getting around that.

So yeah... the 308 will get relegated to backup status most likely. Where I hunt woods ranges are the norm but the possibility of a 400 - 600 yard shot is always there and I've more confidence in the 300 WSM at those ranges.

Also, since I found out I'll not be using the monolithic-expanding type bullets anymore (like the TTSX/etip/blah, blah), I'll be using a 165 cup and core of some sort in the 308. Likely a 165 Partition or Speer Hotcore. They go 2,750 in my rifle and shoot plenty flat, but a 180 at 3,000+ is all that and more.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery