wow, a 5 year old could screw a fal together... or at least a guy or gal with an iq of 15.

it aint rocket science to screw a barrel on, use a few simple methods to time the barrel correctly, head space it with a locking shoulder gauge, or if a good supply of bolts are on hand, keep swapping em out til hs is obtained while using the kit supplied locking shoulder installed im the upper.

as far as utterly reliable..... i'll put the above para against ANY battle rifle in a toture test (you supply the ammo).

in the years that i have owned it, it has never ever burped in any way shape or form..

and when i show up to battle rifle shoots with it, the guys roll their eye's and make some comment about oh great, splat and his para are here....

it's a kit built, not factory. started life as an imbel fal, the barrel was cut to 17 3/8" the same as an fn 50.63. the upper and para lower, as well as the springs top cover and carrier, are imbel. throw in the required us made parts, and there she is.
wwouldn't sell or trade her for anything.

and yes fal's may not be the most accurate battle rifle 2 - 3 moa, but there is some reason 93 countries around the world adopted it as their main battle rifle... they are utterly reliable...
g3's are decent, they are not real ergonomic,, must reach forward to recharge it, no bolt hold open, and are made of welded sheet metal.

308 size ar's are well.... nice, big, clunky, heavy, can be had in all 308 class cartridges, plus 300 remmy saum, and i've seen em even in the wsm's.
i am getting a matched upper and lower in with a side charging handle, and my 07 buddy and i are going to make matching 243's !
yeah, i'd own one for plinking, varmints, coyote's and such. but to depend my life on it... never...

anyone ever see a 223 factory imbel fal ? uses ar mags.....