Originally Posted by TC1
The AR-10 is in service with of our troops. It's known as the M110 Semi-Automatic Sniper System. It's an incredible rifle built by the Knights Armament corp. I would love to own the version DPMS summited for the bid, the DPMS SASS.
It's not a general issue weapon, it's a specialty weapon. It has not had the benefit of years of military service and weapons development. It is a very small production number item that is cantankerous at best. It was built as a sniper rifle, not a fighting rifle; with the emphasis on accuracy over reliability. Parts are not readily available, and the weapon is largely (IMO) unproven.

Originally Posted by TC1
Having owned two FNFAL's I never found them to be anything special except in the looks dept. They aren't uterly reliable nor very accurate.
That statement is so very contrary to my personal experience, and the overall military service reputation of the FAL. If yours weren't very reliable, I would first ask which one did you have? Next I would ask, what were you feeding it, and then I'd ask, what was your procedure for adjusting the gas mechanism?

Originally Posted by TC1
This was the general feeling of most that carried it for thier country.
I've worked with, and talked to soldiers who have carried the FAL...talked to a former British Infantryman last month who carried the FAL in Norther Ireland, he had nothing but the highest respect for the weapon; never failed him when it all hit the fan...and if you remember Northern Ireland in the '70's, it hit the fan often.

Originally Posted by TC1
BTW, DSA summitted a sniper style FAL rifle for the SASS bid competition. Thier submission wouldn't shoot MOA which was one of the requirements and they were rejected early in the competition.
I'd like your source on that one, because a properly built rack grade FAL's (Like my Brazilian IMBEL) will shoot MOA with match grade ammo, so my bet is, the DSA submission shoots a might bit better than that. Still, where semi-autos are concerned, NOTHING will outshoot the Armalite design because you don't have any moving parts connected to the barrel to muck things up; that was one of the design parameters. Stoner knew that the Springfield Armory (the military one, not the commercial company we know today) felt the moving parts connected to the barrels of gas action guns was a real hindrance to accuracy (and it is), so Stoner found a way around the problem (and created some new ones in the process).

Originally Posted by TC1
Since you aren't going to be fighting with this gun I would opt for the most accurate of the lot.
Well, he didn't state what the intended purpose was; and we all pray that your statement is right. But that statement really drives home my statement about American shooters.

Terry [/quote]