Originally Posted By: TC1
Since you aren't going to be fighting with this gun I would opt for the most accurate of the lot.

Well, he didn't state what the intended purpose was; and we all pray that your statement is right. But that statement really drives home my statement about American shooters.

Well, it's absolutely ridiculous to assume anything different. He's not going to be fighting with the weapon and you know it. How much fighting with a rifle have you done lately? None. You may have enrolled in some type of training coarse but that's not fighting. He'll take the rifle out and shoot it on occasion just like the rest of us. That's it.

It's not a general issue weapon, it's a specialty weapon. It has not had the benefit of years of military service and weapons development. It is a very small production number item that is cantankerous at best. It was built as a sniper rifle, not a fighting rifle; with the emphasis on accuracy over reliability. Parts are not readily available, and the weapon is largely (IMO) unproven.

Most sniper rifles would be considered "specialty weapons." You said it wasn't in service, I just said it was, that's all. It may not be an AR-10 but for most folks AR-10 is the generic term used for a .308 AR-15 style rifle. Unproven? It's only your opinion, that's all.

As far as the reliability of the FAL is concerned, it's documented. Israel finally flushed their version of the FAL because it wasn't reliable in the desert. They went to the Galil after repeated jams in combat with the FAL. I've owned two, one worked great and one was a little temperamental. But in all honesty I don't consider two examples to be enough to draw a conclusion. I do trust Isreal on this matter though.

BTW, DSA summitted a sniper style FAL rifle for the SASS bid competition. Thier submission wouldn't shoot MOA which was one of the requirements and they were rejected early in the competition.

Here is the rifle DSA summited for the SASS bid.
DSA Sniper rifle

I don't have the text in front of me about the rifle not performing up to specs but that's what I read. The rifle would not shoot MOA and was rejected early in the compitition. I could probably find the the text if I cared enough to look for it. I can assure you I have no reason to make it up.

I'm not completely knocking the rifle. It's neat design. I really enjoyed the time I spent with both of mine. One was a Para model built on a Coonan receiver and the other was a run of the mill Imbel model. I just don't think it's the end all of .308 battlefield rifles. I also know most rack grade FNFAL rifles won't shoot MOA!

Like I said, if I was going to buy .308 rifle, the AR style would be my pick because of it accuracy potential. Maybe an M1 but it would be for other reasons. I'm not going into combat anytime soon. The original poster isn't and you aren't either. with the price of ammunition and reloading components I get little enjoyment out of shooting less than accurate rifles.

I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers here. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Terry