Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I would say that for a flatland deer hunter the Tikka/A7 would be great hunting rifles. They are generally good shooters and are nice and light. For me, miles into the backcountry in rugged terrain, away from any access to anything but whats in my pack, the plastic became a huge concern issue. Looking down at the bolt shroud that is busted off on my Tikka T3 300WM was worry some enough, makes you wonder WTF is gonna break next, triggerguard, magazine, bottom metal???? Selling all 4 Tikkas and buying a Kimber was much more satisfying, the Montana seems bulletproof compared to the T3's I owned. Different strokes for different folks.

You have me chuckling; Flatland deer hunter, yup that be me!!!! Though I did spend 4 weeks in Alaska once, I wonder if that is like the Holiday Express thing???? And I understand your concern about plastic being in the back country miles away from the nearest Mickey D's much less a gunsmith.

But I did own a Kimber Montana once, in 7mm-08. I did not like it. It was light to carry, but a pain to shoot because for me, as it was too light. Hard to bench, hard to get shooting right, and I hated the blind magazine. I also thought that the bolt throw was gritty. I replaced it a Sako 75 Finnlight that I viewed as a better bargain. So YMMV. If I lived and hunted in Alaska, I might have felt differently. On the other hand if I lived and hunted in Alaska, I would likely get lost and die, flatlander that I be.

Thanks for your words,

Bob