I wouldn't call laminates inferior in quality either. Relative to the species of wood being used, laminates tend to be high grades of the same, IOW, virtually clear, perfect wood is used for the veneers used in stock-making. (The same is obviously not true for some of the construction grades of plywood.) And it could easily be argued that the wood commonly used in gun stock laminates: birch, is inferior to the commonly used walnuts used in nicer wood stocks. That would be true.

And, while laminated birch is quite stiff and hard, it is also more prone to chipping as it (and the glues most often used) can be very brittle.

I would also argue that it is not impossible to make a very attractive laminate stock. I never have cared for the relative clubs which Ruger uses for their laminated stocks - even though it is basically the same pattern which I find okay in walnut also on their M77s. However, a laminated stock like the one used on the Remington Mountain rifle is one I find quite appealing. I suppose that comes in part because of how it feels in the hand. A laminated stock (which is generally stronger than solid wood) can be made equally and plenty strong (as solid wood) by reducing its weight and lines somewhat.

As a practical matter, if the wolves -whatever form wolves may take- were right outside the door, if I could choose to arm myself with a bat made from the usual walnut or the usual birch laminate found in rifle stocks, the question would be a no-brainer.

But since I don't need to brain any wolves with clubs and I can still make aesthetic choices which also reflect whatever level of practicality I desire:

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.