My curisoty finally won over. You know the saying "be careful what you ask, you may not like the answer"

Well a couple friends of mine with different bows came over and used my scale for draw weight and my Chrono for speed.

Highest draw weight checked was 71lbs with a 30" draw and ICS 340 arows(to light IMO for this bow. 277fps

My bow 340/400 ICS hunters 28" long shooting 64lbs 255fps

My other bow, and oneida, 28" draw, 55lbs, ICS hunter arrows 231fps

Another fast bow, 69lbs 29" draw some kinda carbon arrows unknown brand. 100 gr tips. 279fps.

So I guess what I wonder is where are all these actual 300-340fps bows? These guys are good hunters and use good stuff. Nobody is actaully close to 300fps with an actual chronograph.

I understand that the IBO number is a joke, with the light weight shafts they base the speed on which if used would void the warranty of the bow!

However I had no idea it was this drastically different. My poor pathetic 255fps with a 448gr projectile seems rather sad by marketing standards today. However if I shot super light arrows how long would the limbs last and how deep would the arrows penetrate?

I'v Always used a 55lbs of KE number to determine minimums for all big game hunting (not africa thick skin). You can get there with speed, but shooting a moderate arrow with a decent speed gets 55lbs of KE pretty easy. I'm not saying KE has anything to do with killing power, it's just a baseline of data to see where your power level is at.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)