Still haven't figured this one out.

Yearling button buck broadside out 70 yards, or so. Zinged him with a 140-gr. InterLock from the trusty M70 (.270 WCF). Looks like a typical heart-lung shot. Deer does the bronco kick and commences the death dash, so I'm almost positive I got a piece of him.

Wait a bit and then go looking for him, but no blood. I'm pretty sure he piled up just out of sight so I head in that general direction. Find him under a tree he dove under and turn him over...entry right where I wanted it but...no exit wound on the opposite side. Hmmmmm...

When I get him hanging up I notice the bullet has apparently taken a hard turn astern upon contact and exited along the bottom edge of the ribcage going straight back. Weirder still, I immediately smell stomach acid upon my first cut. So, I unzip him and lo and behold his gut has been ruptured somehow. On top of all this, all the ribs are intact...the InterLock didn't penetrate whatsoever, but somehow a) killed him, and b) churned his guts up.

I was extremely baffled and a bit ticked off considering the solid shot placement (I hate dressing out a deer with a body cavity full of stomach contents). If I hadn't killed a goodly number of deer with this same bullet over the years, they'd be going on the shelf, post haste. But, I guess I'll just chalk it up to a fluke and carry on.

Ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott