I hunted at my friend's place in North Carolina for 18 years. The last year there, I had my new .300 WSM custom. I was in a stand and a buck walked out at 450 yards. He had walked into the field from a hunt club. I put the cross hair on his nose and shot. I hit him in the center of the chest and he went down. The fog lifted and I saw a doe come into the field as well. I dropped her. I got back to clean the deer. The buck had a perfect .270 bullet, a 6mm bullet and 3 pieces of buckshot in him. He survived all of that and healed up. I had a .270 briefly that I shot 2 deer with: one at 75 yds and the other at 200 and it damaged more meat than I had ever seen before. The entire front half of the deer was grape jelly. It always struck me that a bullet that could do such damage would be sitting there in my deer without any expansion at all. Your case doesn't sound a whole lot stranger. Bullets do funny things once they enter the body, especially long thin ones that tumble and go off in strange directions. That was a big observation with the .223 when they developed it for the military. My buddy shot a deer with a bow two months ago and the arrow went in, hit a rib, turned and came out the deer's butt. You got an exit hole so you'll never know the condition of the bullet. That would bee nice to see. I wouldn't put a lot of thought into paunching the deer. I've shot a bunch square in the shoulder that blew the paunch, sometimes to green oatmeal. I've hit deer with the .300 perfect, and had everything inside scrambled.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson