The weirdest one I've ever seen was on a Cape buffalo that another guy shot. There were two PH's, the hunter, a tracker, and me, photographing the hunt. We got up on a herd of about 30, and at 100 yards the guy shot the herd bull broadside, right in the shoulder, 1/3 of the way up the body, with a 300-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (the Federal version) from a .375 H&H. We all saw the dust fly where the bullet hit.

The bull bucked and ran behind some thorn trees. We just stood still, waiting for the rest of the herd to move off, expecting to hear the death bellow of the bull at any moment. When that didn't happen, we waited for the herd to move off, then waited a full hour after the shot before starting to track the bull. (By now I had exchanged my camera for my 9.3x62 with solids.)

Maybe 75 yards into the brush a buffalo bull jumped up and ran deeper into the brush ahead of me. I couldn't tell if it was wounded or not, so didn't even try to shoot--and may not have had time anyway. I waved the other guys over and the tracker soon found blood, so it was the wounded bull.

The brush got REAL thick after that, so the PH's told me and the hunter to stay behind and stand on top of a big termite mound, so we could maybe spot the bull (or shoot it) if it took off. They went in with the tracker and over the next half we heard 11 shots. Finally the tracker came back and said the bull was dead.

It turned out the bullet had broken the shoulder, right where we saw it hit--but then had somehow deflected before it hit the heart, then curved through the near lung, ending up under the hide at the rear of the ribcage, on the same side it entered. It had expanded perfectly and could have been used for an advertisement--but it only damaged the near lung, and a Cape buffalo can live a long time with one lung!

The 11 shots we heard, by the way, were all from a .416 Rigby and a .458 Express, a little longer version of the .458 Lott.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck