Originally Posted by beechdrvr
Originally Posted by JPK
On 458wm performance, especially with Winchester ammo, keep in mind that just three hunters killed over 15,000 elephants with the combo and none of them ever reported any problems. Two of them are rolific authors.

Richard Harlan, Ron Thomson, Paul Grobler. 458wm, Winchester factory solid loads, 15,000 elephants.

Add 100-200fps with today's powders and the 458wm only shines more.

Jorge, 2150fps with 500gr bullets out of the 458wm at less than 100% load density is actually easy to achieve. Just buy a can of AA 2230.

JPK

Who can question that? 15 THOUSAND ELEPHANTS? That's good enough for me, and I would estimate a sight more elephants than the sum total of every poster on this thread has accumulated. AA 2230 has rejuvinated the Win mag, if it needed it. I don't think it did.

Well ... Harland in his books does question the 458WinMag despite his obvious success (with a PF rifle!!) and recommends the best thing that can be done to a CZ/Brno is to rechamber to 458Lott. He also names the 458WinMag and the 416Rem as being two cartridges were fresh ammunition is important. Quality control issues with earlier ammunition are also acknowledged. Elsewhere he's mentioned that he did have elephants not go done that he felt should have, but never followed up to determine why ... he just shot them again.
Cheers...
Con

Last edited by Con; 12/19/09.