I am normaly hesitent to post in this sort of threads but this one has a different feel to it. I happen to own several 45-70s but I also happen to own some sorta pricey guns that shoot bigger cartridges. I love them all and I KNOW them all.

I have seen first had what .458" 420gr cast bullets can do to a 1800lbs water buffalo. There just happened to be a PH there when we autopsied it that after the exam said it was bigger boned and heavier built than any cape buffalo he had ever seen. The 420gr cast bullet broke the onside leg, traveled through the lungs and wrecked the offside shoulder joint which kept the beast from taking off after the shot. A second shot was fired into the top of the heart and despite the heart deeling like it was made of leather left a 1.5" tunnel through it before lodging under the offside skin. The blood spewed through the opening over 4' away from the animal. The beast just tipped over. The first shot was taken while the animal trotted. This was the only shot offered in the clear after chasing them for 4 hours. The buff was killed with a .450 Marlin but the load was a ballistic twin to my 45/70 load using the same bullet.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I use 45-70s on a regular basis while shooting depredation permit deer. I have never had a problem hitting deer past 250 yards and most of them are heart shot. I am a firm believer in knowing your rifle. No matter what it is. If you don't like them don't buy one. If you do then grab all of them you can.

I also love my .416s but at some point in time I am sure I will be told I need something bigger. I am already working on that though... reflex264

I

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122