The NRA and the machine gun ban wasn't about keeping machine guns out of the hands of terrorist or even crimminals. It was about trading the righ to own a machine gun in the hopes that the opposistion would stop there. I think we can say with full certainty that it didn't work.

So Wayne the NRA know when to comprimise and when to fight eh? How has any comprimise ever worked out no matter who/where it originated for any gun owner?

I swear sometimes gun owners are worse than anti's. I'm sure Bill Ruger thought it was the greatest idea (AKA compromise) in the world when he wrote an open letter to congress that said...

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives."

Otto is my co-pilot.