Yeah, the A7 shroud is some sort of metal covered by some sort of hard plastic, that should clear things right up.....(grin)

I've never owned a T3 so I can't comment on them but I do have an 85 and A7(both in 300 WSM).

The biggest difference I've found between the two is how much slimmer the A7 is when carried in your hand. Given the A7 has a single stack mag unlike the staggered version in the 85, it is a full .3" thinner(measured at the front action screw). That doesn't sound like much but you really notice it when carrying the rifle for more than 5 minutes. The A7 also feeds slicker than the 85.

My A7 is also lighter but that's partly because I have a larger scope and Optilocks on the 85.
All up ready to hunt the A7 weighs 7.6lbs., while the 85 weighs about a pound more.

Accuracy-wise they are both 100% equal.
.5-1MOA out to 400-500 yards is the norm with the right bullet/load.
FWIW, both rifles shoot the EXACT same 180 Partition/R17 load pretty damn well which will really make things simple this Fall.

Verdict, save the money and get an A7. IMHO, it's a better (hunting)rifle regardless of price.

That said the 85 is still a fine rifle and has a 'nicer' action and didn't require bedding where as I wish the A7 has less plastic and did require bedding.

Last edited by SamOlson; 03/29/10.