Atkinson,
A lot of folks see the 71 as the 86 with a new number, but that's not the case at all. The 71 is actually most similar to the 92, in that cartridge over all length is absolutely critical to smoothe functioning. The 86 uses a hook to feed from the magazine, but the 71 dispensed with this feature.
The 348 is what I would call a true field accurate cartridge. It is not a bench rest number. No one designed the 348 to make nice little holes in paper to be folded up and carried around in the wallet. In my experience, once one learns the proper hold for their levergun, they are deadly with it at whatever range they have practiced for, and the 348 was no different.
Field accurate means you hit what you aim at in the field. Folks used to high powered scopes bolt actions and ear splitting reports don't believe me when I say this, but no matter, it is true as the sun shines.
I do agree with you that the real 86, in fine condition, not refinished after being beat up, is a most excellent rifle, but these are getting harder and harder to find at anything approaching affordable prices.
Well, the real Winchester is gone and buried, and by the looks of it, the real Marlin is soon to follow. I think anyone who is willing to shoulder the quintessential levergun is now part of a piece of fading history.
Get a Marlin, a Win, or a Miroku while you can, you won't regret it.