Likewise I know several who have killed lots of hogs with handguns. They say the .44 and .41 Magnums kill them better than does the .357 Magnum. Again, no need for the fancy hard cast, extra wide, hot loaded ammo. Standard weight soft points work fine.
Now, if I need to shoot through both shoulders of a bison, I'll defer to your experience. E
The part you have wrong is that this is not "hot loaded" ammo. It is loaded for pure accuracy and it does not matter if it is "balls to the wall." Almost none is near max unless it is needed for accuracy and that is rare.
I shot three deer with 240 gr bullets and recovered all three. Back of the shoulder, rib cage only shots. The bullets were against the opposite rib cage and there were no blood trails. Deer showed no reaction to the shots. Made me quit right soon and go to hard cast, lower velocity by the way.
I see twice the internal damage and blood is sprayed everywhere.
Whitworth, JWP and I depend on actual kills and a necropsy on every animal to evaluate boolit performance. Then we change to what is needed for more killing effect. Muzzle energy is a myth used to sell ammo and guns. Book reading does not replace experience in the field.
I have to agree with most, show us what you have done and stop saying "THEY."
[Linked Image]