Originally Posted by mtech
Which one hits hardest and is more accurate? Which would you choose?

mtech;

Welcome to the Campfire!

I think there's little argument that the .458WM hits harder than the .416 Rem if we compare 400grs to 500grs. A 400gr would have to leave the muzzle at 2500 fps to match the momentum of a 500 gr at 2000 fps. That's probably more than the Remington can produce and for the.458 that's a rather mild load.

As to accuracy... it has already been stated: both are capable of fine accuracy potential, perhaps more than the shooter! grin But loads that make MOA, or better, are common if the shooter is up to it.

Which would I choose? Well, I've chosen the .458 in a CZ because I simply like shooting .458" projectiles... There are many more components available for .458" than for .416", and that includes the brass. I've used .45-70s for many years and I consider the .458WM a logical extension of that. I've never lost any animal hit with a .458" slug.

But, I think you couldn't go wrong with either cartridge in a good rifle. In a .458WM, just don't go too light. 10lbs is about the minimum (all up) I would recommend if you intend to do much shooting of the real heavyweights at, or near, max velocity.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus