Originally Posted by Jayhawk80
I did not say it was Chewore North or South. Their main camp IS on the Zambezi River and that is where we spent our middle 10 days. I do agree that it is a fine area for buffalo.

Jayhawk80,

So then, if it was in Chewore then it was in Chewore North, which is on the river.

If it wasn't in Chewore at all, but was in the Zambezi Valley, it could have been in Dande North, north of Chewore North or in Sapi, Nyakasanga or Rifa, all south of Chewore North and all of which are on the river and have camps on the river.

Rifa is a smaller concession and I don't believe that Chifuti has run hunts from there, if so they would have had to sublet from the concession holder.

Nyakasanga is an auction area and the gov't owned camps are rough, though outfitters can make things decent enough for the two week auction hunts.

Sapi is also an auction are, but in, I think, 2006 and/or 2007 Chifuti bought all of the hunts (and built their own camps,) which is no longer permitted.

Chewore North was Swainson Safaris' area for a long time, I think Charlton McCollum got it recently from Chifuti who had it for a year or two before acquiring Chewore South.

Do you know which area you hunted?

BTW, they are all pretty good or better for buff, with maybe Dande North trailing just a bit the others, from what I've been told. I have hunted Chewore South and Nyakasanga, been in Sapi and Rifa.

From the northeast, following the river to the southwest is Dande North, then Chewore North, Sapi, then Mana Pools Nat'l Park, which is also on the river, past the park is Nyakasanga and then Rifa. Charara is southwest of Rifa, but really fronts Lake Kariba, and it wouldn't be Chifuti's in any case.

I would like to hunt all of the concessions!

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 05/25/10.