I have bought four new Kimber CF rifles in the last 14 months. The main reason is that I wanted rifles lighter than the Featherweights that used to satisfy me.

The first was a 260 Classic and the dealer ordered it for me and I did not like the stock. It was sent back and I got a very nice stock. It's best however to see the rifle first as dealers don't like to send stuff back. I reported this rifle as one of the most accurate sporters I had ever seen. At that time I was using it as a walking varminter with the 95 gr VMax. Since then I tried to turn it into a woods rifle for deer and it has not shot better than 1.0 to 1.25 MOA. While I know this is adequate it's not all that interesting. I am working hard on this ordinary accuracy but so far I have not figured it out.

The next one is a 7mm-08 Classic that was pick off the shelf in a hurry as the 260 went back for the stock change. It shot about 1.25 MOA also out of the box and as it was only weeks from opening day I slapped a sling on in and went hunting as were I use it the shots average around 60 yds. When the season was over I noticed that the QD sling swivels had buggered up the stock as the studs are counterbored into the stock. I drove this rifle down to Yonkers as it's close by and they put a new stock on. I asked for one with black streaks in it to match the very nice 260 stock and they gave me what I wanted! The ejection on this one was iffy and that was corrected also all no charge.
[Linked Image]

While the 7mm-08 was there I left the 260 also and had Kimber install the new three position safeties on each. They charge $75 each for this and I like the feature.

I discovered that while the windage screws on the 7mm-08 seemed to be tight one did turn and since then the rifle has been under 1 MOA for up to three shots! I have replaced the mounts since then with Burris Signature Zee rings.

A 243 84M Kimber Montana was purchased last spring as a walking varminter. This rifle was perfect and remains perfect since then. It will put the first two shots very close to each other at 200 yds. Every load fired in it has been accurate. I am using the 58 gr VMax at 3750 as I can see the bullet hit with this load. What a pleasure getting a gun out of the box and then just hitting stuff with it.

Last in is the Kimber 8400 Montana in 270 WSM. This rifle has become a favorite as it's lighter than a M70 Featherweight and yet has real long range ablity. Both the Montana's came thru with the three position safety.

Some dealers will discount the Kimbers and others ask full or almost full retail. If one goes prepared and likes the stock (if it''s a Classic) then make an offer of $775 without the mounts. You don't want the factory bases and rings anyway. At the moment the Talley's are the only other game in town for the 84M's.

A 84M Montana should go for $900 or less with the factory mounts. A 8400 Montana was sold to me retail for $1000 in the height of the backorders.

Kimber took steps to upgrade their manufacturing a couple of years ago. They are still not always 100% perfect but it's an excellent design with a market niche that compares to rifles costing far more. When one looks at the carbon fiber/Kevlar stock, Decelrator pad, pillars, free floating, CRF, superb triggers, nice chambers and barrels all made in the USA the value is there what with the backup at the factory.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!