Ain't that the truth........some 35 years ago I was young and broke, but wanted a "real" deer rifle. Not a brush gun (of which I had several) but a bolt action sporter in an all-around caliber.

Went to a local gunsmith and asked if he had any old bolt actions I could turn into a sporter (I was young enough I had NO idea what I was getting into). He told me to look in the back room as he had a "few barrels" full of old rifle actions he used for parts.

He wasn't kidding.....there were three or four barrels with various actions stuffed inside. I went through a pile of Mauser 94's, 95's and 96's and a LOT of '98's as well as several dozen 1903's, 1917's and various Enfields. I finally came across an FN '98 Mauser made in "Herstal Belgique".....with barrel included.

He and I both assumed it was an 8mm, but the hole in the barrel didn't look right so we tried various go-no go gauges and detirmined it was barreled in .30-06 (which happened to be the caliber I wanted anyway.

When I asked "how much" he told me to give him $15 and call it even. Can you imagine that today??

Under his watchfull eyes I learned how to contour the action, drill and tap, cut-off and re-weld a sporter bolt and install a scope-friendly safety. He also had a pile of walnut boards which I went through and picked one I liked (for $10)......which he taught me how to shape and inlet (not an easy job for an inexperienced "gunsmith"). I still wanted to pull the barrel and replace it with a "proper" barrel, but he convinced me to shoot it first.

WOW!!! it would keep 5 shots in a half-inch if I did my job......I never replaced it as I was afraid I'd never get back to that accuracy again.

Over the years I've slightly modified it and made it look a bit "pretty" (he also taught me the art of checkering as well as how to install a ebony tip ). That rifle has been my main hunting rifle for 35 years and even though I have owned some 200-300 different rifles over the years is still the "go-to" gun in my safe.

How I wish the days could return when you could buy a barreled action for $15.....a walnut blank for $10 more......and with sweat and "instruction" turn it into a piece of art.

When I read how you can't "ecognomically" turn a military action ito a proper sporter....I laugh. You MIGHT be able to buy a commercial action cheaper and you MIGHT be able to do things to it cheaper, but you will never be able to replace the pride or ownership and experience gained by turning a "cheap" military rifle into your dreams.

That rifle led me into a 30+year carrer as a "gunsmith". If I were to happen upon a young shooter who was willing to listen and learn, I'd gladly teach him what I learned under the eye of an "old-time" gunsmith who knew you don't "have" to have fancy equiptment or "magic" materials.

You'd be amazed at what can be done with files and hand tools.....with a LOT of sweat and work.....and end up with a rifle you can't buy for love nor money.

Even today.....when prices are higher (no more $15 barreled actions) there is nothing like the pride and experience gained from doing it yourself.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know