If it wasn�t for the �requirement� of a scope would half or even all of the things done to a military Mauser need to be done to convert it to a sporter?

A fellow at the range a few weeks ago had a sporterized K98. All that had really been done was to take off the handguard and shape the forend to more of an African or British style. Whoever did it did a very nice job as it was a graceful and slender thing, he even left the barrel band in place. I think the rear sight was removed or replaced but don�t really remember. The caliber was the original 8X57.

My friend Bill bought one of the K-98�s my father brought back from WWII. The stock had been broken on that one at the pistol grip when the German soldier surrendered. All Bill did was buy a replacement Fajen stock and then went out and used it.

I know scopes are de rigueur these days, but I think a stock military Mauser of whatever variety with a good peep would still work about as well as anything for a practical hunting rifle. Without scope and mounts you could keep the weight down and the sighting system would not have handicapped me at the ranges and times of day I�ve taken all my game.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!